- Does not turn and look (respond) when name is called
- Does not participate in back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by nine months or age.
- Does not gesture (point to objects, wave hello or bye-bye, etc.)
- Does not babble or coo by 12 months of age
- Does not say single words by 16 months of age
- Does not initiate two word phrases by 24 months of age
- Loses words or social skills at any age
Other possible symptoms:
- Does not smile when smiled at.
- Has poor eye contact
- Spends a lot of time lining things up or putting things in a certain order
- Gets "stuck" on doing the same things over and over - i.e., spins objects
- Is not interested in other children and prefers to play along
- Walks on his/ her toes
- Has odd movements or patterns
If your child is exhibiting any of these signs, please ask your pediatrician or family practitioner for an immediate evaluation.